Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 118

    KI: Ambling Drive & ‘Roo Mobs

    7 April, Australia ⋅ ☁️ 63 °F

    When we left Penneshaw, we had no real plan for our drive except that at some point we would stop in Kingscote for lunch.

    Getting on Hog Bay Road, one of the very few sealed roads on the island, we began our drive … stopping whenever something caught our eye … including a photo op at Gallipoli Hill and a wander at scenic Pennington Bay … one of the highlights of today.

    Leaving the sealed road behind, we then headed up to the Red Banks. This was to be our test drive on an unsealed road as Budget had told Mui not to attempt any roads that might require 4WD. Forget four wheeling, we found the unsealed road to be smoother than some of our paved highways in the USA.

    There was no description of the Red Banks. But Mui and I agreed that the name probably referred red cliffs. Turns out that we were right. The only problem? To see the cliffs, one must walk out onto a very narrow lookout that has become heavily eroded. We were very careful — Mui had a tight grip on the waist of my jeans — and got some decent views and photos. However, I don’t think that will be possible for much longer. A few more major storms will probably cause the eroded spit to crumble.

    Rather than retrace our route back to Hog Bay Road, we next opted to follow a few more unsealed roads to Kingscote. And then onto Stokes Bay where we had been told that we could see kangaroos in the wild.

    Indeed, we saw plenty of ‘roos. Because they were browsing on private lands that were fenced, we could not get very close. Nonetheless it was fun to watch them. In fact, we spent so much time with them that it was too late to hike over the rocks to see if the much-vaunted Stokes Bay Beach deserved its reputation.

    By the time we headed home it was apparent that it would be dark by the time we got to Cape Willoughby. Maybe we can fit it in tomorrow.
    Baca lagi