Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Jibberding to Karalundi

    May 1, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    Had a pretty good sleep last night but got a little spooked by some sounds and the feeling of being alone in middle of nowhere. Thankfully that feeling lasted only until about 9pm when we went to Lala land. We were pretty pleased that it was not a cold night so no thermals were required.
    Got up before sunrise and made ourselves breakfast and coffee expecting a cruisy, uneventful day on the road.
    We decided we will change in the drivers seat every two hours and we headed toward Mt Magnet. During the drive we were planning where could we possible change the trailer batteries without impacting on our very tight schedule and decided that Port Hedland may be a go. After two and half hours we reached our destination and stopped at the petrol station to refuel and change the driver. As I was passing the trailer I checked the connections to the car and to our sadness discovered that the cable with the Anderson plug disconnected/got broken (who knows) and we must have dragged it for a while. We also checked the fridge that unfortunately did not handle the no power issue greatly and was warming up our beers and defrosting our beef rissoles instead of cooling them down.
    The petrol station staff gave us a business card of a local mechanic/do it all guy and he confirmed that he can have a look in half an hour. So we headed to his yard for a lunch break hoping all will be alright.
    The wait exceeded the 30min but beggars can’t be choosers so we were patiently waiting and replanning our day.
    Finally we were asked to move to a different position and during that move we have noticed some old batteries behind the back of the yard so we ask if they by any chance had 2 batteries that would fit the camper. To our surprise they did! Yey happy days.
    The battery change over can only be described as pain in the backside as they are only accessible from inside of the camper and are nicely hidden under the bed. So we had to open the camper, get in, Kat would hold the bed up and the mechanic and myself started unscrewing the metal bits hiding the batteries, all of that in about 35 degrees. Lovely….
    All has been changed, Anderson plug is like new and more secured and fridge is finally going well enjoying the power supply.
    Unfortunately, we spent about three hours there and put ourselves behind the schedule and instead of arriving in Kumarina for a night we took a refuge at the Karalundi Aboriginal Educational Community camp ground run by 7th Adventist Church. Looks like we will have a peaceful night listening to humming generator powering this little settlement. We are planing to leave early tomorrow just in case they also do conversion therapy here and mainly to catch up on some lost kilometres.
    Read more