Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Karalundi to South Hedland

    May 2, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    After a great night sleep we broke all personal records and were on the road 5 minutes earlier than planned!! Unbelievable effort! We got up at 5.45 and treated ourselves to shower and were heading towards Kumarina just 5 minutes before 7am.
    The trip was rather uneventful- thank goodness as I’m not sure we were ready for more surprises and action. We have noted that it took about 1500km before we hit the countryside that we really love. Grassy fields, red rocky hills with white bark trees…. Ahhh… love it. The temperature has risen with every kilometre which we welcome as the morning was slightly cold - 11 degrees. Today’s drive delivered a dingo (skinny one with ribs poking out - shame we did not have any dog food to spare 😇), about 5 massive wedge tail eagles breakfasting on a cow carcass just on the side of the road and heaps of road train trucks past Newman. Other than that the road was quiet. After driving all day yesterday, we were swapping today every 2.5 hours which was great as we are both getting a little tired, despite the long night sleep we got.
    We passed the Tropic of Capricorn and sadly there were no stubbie holders in the Capricorn servo to purchase to remember this memorable event 🤣
    We made it to South Hedland after 17.00 and got a spot at Black Rock Tourist Park - $50/night… luxury stay next to a busy road. It is also interesting to follow the fuel prices, we filed first time past Kojonup for $1.78/litre and the last time so far $2.25/Litre in Newman.
    Today’s toll is 812 km, with total 1992.1km which is a little different than this application shows.
    Anyhoo, we have settled at the caravan park site number 14, had a nice dinner - salad and grilled chicken breast prepared by chef Katrinzo, drinking aperol spritz with ice cubes because the new fridge/freezer can make them easily and are getting ready for the opening night of canasta. It is 30 degrees - cannot complain. Life is good 😊! Although I lost / forgot it at the last stop our mosquito repellent device 😭
    Read more