Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    Larrawa to Broome

    May 20, 2023 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 22 °C

    Well today did not pan out as we imagined and from the tranquil environment we found ourselves in hell! … but let’s not jump to the end of the day…
    We had an interesting night as I have noticed while watching the stars that some ‘birds’ are flying in and out the tree on top of our camper. I thought it was bats but Kat re-assured me that it is owls… bullshit! Bloody bats they were - my nightmare coming through, they were circling around like crazy. I went for cover insides the camper but could hear them regardless. They liked the tree as it was flowering and it appeared they ate the flowers or sucked the nectar, I am not sure. All night we could hear things dropping on the roof of our camper and on the morning we found everything covered in yellow flower debris. We got up before 6am and went for the farm river walk. The sunrise was stunning and the walk was very nice too. The farm has over 6000 brahman cows and over 450km of fencing. Would not want to be ‘walking’ that fence line… We then packed up and got on the way to Fitzroy Crossing where we wanted to check out an art centre. The Fitzroy Crossing provision ‘bridge’ had significantly less water flowing than 3 weeks ago. The normal bridge was not finished yet but a lot of work has been completed since we passed it last time.
    To our disappointment the art gallery was closed, so we headed towards Derby where we wanted to visit the Mowanjum Art and Culture Centre. Well we faced another disappointment. Despite all the information confirming the Mowanjum Art centre is open on Saturday it was closed and so was everything in Derby. So we did a turn around, stopped to see the Boab Prison Tree and headed to Broome. The drive was smoothly going, we both drove today so really, no drama at all. We had a brief stopover in Willare where we booked ourselves into the Broome Caravan park. We made it here just after 5pm, were given concrete slab as a site so we changed it, set ourselves and were ready to sit back and relax. Little did we know that this place is next to a speedway club and the races are on tonight. The sound is so loud that we can hardly have a conversation… it is like million bees buzzing here. A bloody nightmare. Our friends Kim and Chris are still in Broome but they are in a different caravan park on Cable Beach so we will move there tomorrow morning. Phew… hope this race will finish soon as our bedtime is at 8pm these days…
    Read more