Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Sarria - The Final Stage!

    November 3, 2016 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 11 °C

    Sarria represents the final significant stage on the Camino de Compostela. It is approximately 130km from Santiago and must be reached through a steep descent from a series of 'Altos' or mountain peaks, hills and alpine hamlets. The journey was really a journey upward and downward as we summitted the 'Alto de Roque' at 1230m, 'Alto do Poio' at 1330m, 'Alto Riocabo' at 905m before arriving at Sarria at 440m.

    The Galician countryside was so picturesque! Walking through farming villages, seeing cows being handmilked in the barns, chickens and roosters heralding our arrival and large farm dogs sleeping like sentinel guards for the village. As we approached, one sleepy eye would open and close, allowing us to pass without the dog moving from the middle of the road!

    One other highlight was walking through beautiful mountain woodland forest. See pic. Unlike our Australian bush, these places are very quiet, the only sounds are small birds and the breeze blowing the rust coloured leaves. Only the peal of mountain hunting sometimes broke the silence.

    Arriving at Sarria, we found a town with Celtic origins which had been a major centre for medieval pilgrims with several churches, monasteries and 7 pilgrim hospitals. We explored the old quarter of the town, which had to be climbed upwards of 50 stairs! Believe me, that's not easy after a 25k days walk!
    Unfortunately, the weather turned sour that night and it was too wet to see the ancient castle ruins or the monastery of St Magdalena.

    Many pilgrims make Sarria their starting point and from here, it is a requirement to complete the Camino and receive your 'Compostela' or certificate, you must get 2 stamps per day until you reach Santiago.
    To date our credentials were adorned with coloured stamps from Churches, shops, cafes, hostels and Albergues. The challenge now was to get 2 or more per day!
    Read more