Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Edelweiss Austria

    November 15, 2023 in Austria ⋅ ☁️ 4 °C

    Today, we depart Frankfurt, Germany and traverse towards Austria. A brief stop in the beautiful town of Rothenburg and a delightful Apfelstrudel in a quaint coffee shop. It is delicious. As was the apple pie I enjoyed on the Rhine yesterday. Though I'm reminded again of the Queen of apple pie and pastry. In a competition she didn't know she entered, Maryanne Pollock from Cohuna once again takes out first prize for best apple pie of 2023. The champion dutch baker from Australia, defeating Canada, the United States, and now Europe. An intercontinental champion.

    The pace of this trip is tiring, and I respect that a country a day is a microcosm of the landscape, history, culture and architecture of each destination, though it's a great 'taste' of Europe.

    Now. Austria. How do you solve a problem like Melissa? The scenery ensures my head is filled with songs from The Sound of Music.

    The autumnal trees in hues of amber and yellow amongst the evergreen spruce, hugging the soaring mountain ranges. Turqouise lakes and crisp mountain air. I've seen some incredible landscapes in my travels this year, though Austria is really something else.

    We've barely crossed the Austrian border at time of this post - en route to Innsbruck.

    Today is a gift.
    Read more