Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 46

    Varanasi - The source of India

    April 6, 2023 in India ⋅ ☀️ 36 °C

    Spent the last 8 days in Varanasi. It took about 24 hours in train to get here but I had a little bed I could sleep on, a lot of snacks, books, downloaded some movies and the view was also very entertaining.

    Arrived here late at night and had to get some proper sleep first of all! When I woke up exploring this crazy city could finally begin. Varanasi is one of the oldest towns on earth. Meaning that people have been living here, worshipping this town and the river Ganga for centuries, because of Varanasi’s (or Benaras or Kochi’s) prominent role in Hindu mythology.

    Varanasi is the city of Shiva, one of the most important Hindu gods. It is believed that if you die and are cremated in Varanasi your soul is freed from the cycle of rebirth and is liberated into Nirvana. Because of this reason a lot of people who are on the verge of dying travel to Varanasi. Those people who have already died will be burned on the burning grounds. Those burning grounds are located in the middle of the city right next to the river and are one of the biggest attraction for anyone visiting this city. And this actual burning of the bodies is not done in hiding! It is done very publicly, openly and yes, very visibly.

    Besides these, sometimes very graphic sites, Varanasi has some really beautiful architecture, sunsets, food and people. I spent most of the days just walking around without any real plan and soaking in the energy of the city. The last 5 days I also started taking sitar classes. And now im hooked and need to buy a sitar. But i always knew that was going to happen :)

    Heading back to Rishikesh tomorrow, another 24 hour ride, where I will start my Yoga Teacher Training in a couple of days.
    Read more