Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Olympia

    December 19, 2018 in Greece ⋅ ☀️ 12 °C

    A turbulent night on the ship - a very windy night made the ship roll substantially. Nonetheless by morning, the sky was clear and the sun was blazing. We jumped on the only excursion booked through the ship - a €15 transfer from Katakolon to Olympia for the UNESCO ruins. Extortionately, if we'd booked transfer and entry tickets (without a guide) through the ship, it cost €40 each...entry to the whole site only costs €6!

    Anyway, a simple 40 minute bus ride took us to the archaeological ruins and museum of ancient Olympia, home of the olympics. We wandered the columns and foundation walls of the site in glorious sunshine. A few buildings remain remarkably well preserved, but much of the site is ruined blocks which have been moved into uniform lines, somewhat obscuring the original floorplan.

    Across the road is the archaeological museum which houses a model of the original site and many statues, pottery and bronze artefacts. Like a sauna inside, the cabinets house information on the different periods of Olympia with some reasonable information, but it is not extensively large. Having had a couple of hours in site, we transferred back to post for a little time shopping before an early 2.30pm all aboard. A late arrival in Kotor tomorrow, so a chance for a lie in. I have also never been more grateful for having visited a place before then I am with Kotor - so there's no need or expectation of climbing up the bloody great hill to the fort tomorrow!
    Read more