Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Red Rock Falls

    July 23, 2019 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    After a hearty lunch of cup noodles, we took a late afternoon stroll to Red Rock Falls. The clouds had come over and the temperature had mercifully dropped. However we only got a small way into the track when we met a family who were deciding whether to continue having been told a grizzly bear had been sighted ahead. We did carry on, as did they, with great caution and with Ben resurrecting his whistling and clapping routine from the morning. The route took us around Red Rock Lake and we were able to climb onto the falls at the far end.

    The name is no misnomer- the redness of the rock here is both unbelievable and stunning. We spent some time climbing in and around the falls before heading back with similar caution! We did not see (for better or worse) a bear, but we did see some deer, squirrels, chipmunks and again some moose splashing about in Fishercap Lake.

    During tea (more cup noodles - we couldn't face a big meal after the heat of the day) we were treated to thunder and lightning as a storm rolled through the valley. Onwards to the west coast tomorrow and a likely 12 hour drive (the biggest of our trip by a long way).

    Number plate update: Indiana, Connecticut (41/50)
    Read more