Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 26

    Wurzberg

    August 7, 2022 in Germany ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    After breakfast in Nuremberg, we grabbed and luggage and caught a train to Wurzberg - apparently, this is wine country. Storing our luggage at the station, we wandered through the new and old town. Wurzberg suffered extensive bombing in WWII so the buildings outside the old town are not hugely picturesque, but the restored old town and Residence Palace are beautiful. On the pedestrianised Alte Mainbrücke, we had stunning view of the vineyards on the slopes under the Marienberg, the Main river and the old town. So we grabbed a glass of local wine and enjoyed the view (and got told off both for sitting on the bridge and putting our glass down on the bridge - one must always hold their wine!). We both has Weingut Juliusspital, but one dry, one half-dry...both, very good.

    On the others idea of town, the 500 year old UNESCO Residence (restored after WWII), the manicured gardens of rose bushes, flower beds and very pointy trees. The nearby Burgerspital allowed us a chance to try some more wine, before returning to the station for a train to Bamberg - beer country!

    Beer Index (Wurzberg) - N/A - wine country!
    Read more