Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Basilique Notre Dame de la Garde

    April 7 in France ⋅ ☁️ 21 °C

    Walking around the port, we popped up to fort-like 3rd Century Abbaye Saint Victor, steeped in an incense haze inside. Then we made a silly, but usual decision. Despite feeling sleepy from the sun and the beer, the big hill was calling so we decided to walk the 150m hill to the Basilique Notelre Dame de la Garde. It was steep, and hot on the way up...but as ever the views made it worth it. We had an especially lovely view over Chateau D'If, an island prison of Count of Monte Cristo fame, which we had also hoped to visit but alas there was no sailings to it today.

    Back down the hill, we toyed with seeing if there was space on the afternoon Calanques sailing, but opted instead for the absolutely stunning Ciel. We only found this rooftop bar and restaurant on the internet and definitely would NOT have stumbled upon it, with there being almost no advertising or identification. But the view over the whole of Marseilles including the Basilique were stunning from the 7th floor bar so we stayed for a couple in the sunshine! Heading back around the port, through Fort Jean, we aimed back to the shuttle bus and the ship, taking advantage of a late afternoon whirlpool before departure. Tired and a little pinker than before, it's on to Barcelona!
    Read more