Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 83

    2017 Eclipse - Glendo, WY

    August 21, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Parked on the grass 2nd row in around 05:00, first things first, a nice hot cuppa from the flask !!
    Beautiful sunrise around 06:30 heralded a great day for the main event.
    Our neighbours on one side are Woody & Zizzy from Strawberry, AZ and on the other Charles and his 10 year old son Logan from Fort Collins, CO. Woody is an amateur astronomer and soon set up his telescope with a solar filter. Through it we see the cool sunspots on the sun's surface. The airfield fills up from both ends, cars and people are setting up camp everywhere.
    10:24 the moon starts creeping over the sun so everyone dons their eclipse glasses, excitement is mounting. A couple of hot air balloons fly overhead. The light is dimming then at 11:46 we see the 'Diamond Ring' (the last glint of the sun) and it's nearly dark, people are cheering as we have totality and can take our glasses off to look up at the 'Corona' shining from behind the moon. 2m 27s later we don our glasses as the second 'Diamond Ring' appears as the moon is continuing it's track across the sun. Absolutely breathtaking, stunning, amazing, spectacular and even 'fan dabi dozi' !!!
    So worth the 164mile drive to the centre line to see totality, even the 7 hours crawling back down I25 to arrive back to the coach at midnight.
    No great pictures from the phone as we took advice to watch and take it all in rather than take photos.
    Last words belong to Woody, all he could say afterwards was WOW...... WOW and more WOWs.
    Read more