Satellite
  • Day 11

    Hong Kong

    April 1, 2019 in Hong Kong ⋅ 🌬 20 °C

    It’s been almost two weeks since we left Hong Kong. Hong Kong was an amazing city. Definitely one of my all time favourite. This city is the perfect place for shopping queens and foodies. My first impression of Hong Kong is that it is very clean. People are not permitted to drink or eat in the public transports and the streets were spotless.

    We had a hotel in Kowloon in the Tsim Sha Tsui district. Our hotel, the New World Millennium was a dream. We had some troubles with the showers at the two apartments we stayed in the last two cities and the apartments were not the newest. Considering these facts, this hotel was a major upgrade. The staff were very friendly and assisted us where needed. The hotel is near Hong Kong’s Hollywood Walk of Fame and is surrounded by luxury shops.

    We stayed there for fives days and I am not going to bore you with a day to day run by.

    The taxis aren’t expensive in Hong Kong, despite this we spent a majority of the time using the public transport or walking to get to the destinations. The public transport, such as the buses, Victoria Harbour Star ferry and the subway a.k.a MTR are very cheap, fast and well connected. The buses even have Wi-Fi. Walking was a good way for us to get the whole Hong Kong experience. On one street we would have very modern highrise buildings, shops like Gucci and Prada, then we go around the next corner and see street markets selling fruits and hats, a completely different surrounding.

    We had a lot of highlights. On the Kowloon side we enjoyed the Symphony of Lights. We saw it from both the Kowloon and Hong Kong Island side and have admit that the view from the Kowloon side was by far the best. We also visited the Temple Night Market and the Sneaker street. I don’t know why, but I had a completely different expectation of the Sneaker street then what it was. I was expecting statues of Sneakers and Sneakers hanging around etc. Something Insta- worthy... well it’s just a normal street with sneaker shops, with sneakers at a reasonable price. Perfect for sneaker lovers, nothing for me.

    We went to the Victoria Peak on the Hong Kong Island. Before we went up there, we were told by many that the tram is the most preferred mode of transportation to get up there and also that people like to go to the Sky Terrace to enjoy the view and take pictures. Both of these together cost $99. We ended up taking the bus up to Victoria Peak. The view was amazing, the bus had Wi-Fi and we paid around $5 if I recall correctly. Once up there we took a walk on one of the trails and had an amazing view. We did look at the Sky Terrace and it wasn’t that spectacular.

    The Hong Kong Zoological And Botanical Gardens is also worth a visit. We saw some very cute monkeys (in cages) and enjoyed a walk through the park.

    We enjoyed going to some bars and restaurants in the district Soho and shopped in Causeway Bay.

    I do have to say, I enjoyed eating Dumplings at Din Tai Fung in Tsim Sha Tsui and Truffel Pasta at Alto.

    Our five day trip in Hong Kong was amazing. It’s a city I would most definitely revisit.

    Must Dos:

    Restaurants Bars:
    - Nah Trang
    - Din Tai Fung
    - Fumi
    - Ce la vie Bar
    - Carpaccio
    - Le pain quotidian
    - Alto
    - Iron Fairies

    Sights and Districts:
    - Soho
    - Causeway Bay
    - Tsim Sha Tsui
    - Hong Kong’s Hollywood Walk of Fame
    - Symphony of Lights
    - Din Tai Fung
    - Victoria Harbour Star Ferry
    - Temple Street Night Market
    - Sneaker Street
    - Hong Kong Zoological And Botanical Gardens
    Read more