Satellite
  • Day 17

    Day 17, New York - Disembakation Day

    September 17, 2017 in the United States ⋅ ⛅ 23 °C

    So today was the day we had to leave our floating luxury hotel after 15 fantastic days. It's been amazing. So we decided to be up early this morning to see us sail in to New York, alarm was set for 4.45am 😴 😴 It was still dark and still foggy but a lot warmer and well worth doing. We sailed right up by the Statue of Liberty, past Manhattan before finally docking on our berth in Brooklyn. The waters were as calm as anything. At 5am the decks were full of people doing the same thing.

    All the restaurants and buffets were open extra early this morning as they want the ship empty by 11am. As we were up and about early we decided one last meal downstairs in the restaurant rather than the buffet. It's great to be served and to say goodbye to some of the waiters we've got to know. A final cup of tea and a couple of Lemon Danish pastries at the back of the ship overlooking Brooklyn Bridge to the right and Manhattan to left, before picking our carry on luggage up and heading for Club Fusion to disembark 🙁.

    Once off the ship we were greeted with US immigration, always a pleasure (NOT) but to be fair it was quite painless this morning. By 9.30am we were in a taxi to our hotel, The Marriott in Chelsea, Manhattan. It's quite nice and extremely central, just 5 minutes to the Empire State Building and about a 20 minute walk to Times Square. Our trip took us over the Brooklyn Bridge and up through downtown Manhattan. Traffic was horrendous due to the UN Conference taking place all this week. We've just seen on the news that Donald has arrived Safely at Trump Towers !!

    As our room wasn't ready, we left our luggage with the concierge service and set of in to town, heading for Times Square. We stopped of at Macy's for some lunch along the way. The weather was very warm but very cloudy. We've done little more but walk around all day, 10 miles according to Fitbit. We had tea in Grand Central Station and had a wander in to The Grand Hyatt where we stayed last time.

    It's 9pm here now, still 24 degrees and we're just back at the hotel totally knackered. Although it was the last day on the ship, we've still got a couple of days here to enjoy, and it's a lot warmer - have I mentioned the weather at all over the last couple of weeks?

    So that's it from us tonight, more tomorrow.
    Read more