Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Day 6 Skagen

    August 17, 2022 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 20 °C

    It’s fair to say we’ve not been up too early this holiday and today was no exception. The light juddering as the ship docks has been the subconscious alarm clock. Still, that’s what me needed.

    Once again the weather hasn’t disappointed us, nice blue skies in the main and in to the 20s. Breakfast up on the deck then off in to this once again pretty little town which is on the northern most tip of Denmark 🇩🇰. It’s just a short walk in to the town which is full of quaint little shops, and coffee shops. One of the highlights of Skagen is the northerly most tip, on the beach where the 2 seas ( Kattegat & Skagerrak) meet. It’s in a place called Grenen which is approximately 3 miles away. The public bus runs there from just outside the town - well it used to last time we were here. It appears that busses only run to the 6th August !!

    However, undeterred we set off on foot. 7 miles round trip but a glorious day. We passed an old 17th century lighthouse which you could go to the top. There were lovely paintings hung on the walls and the artist was very chatty and told us all about it. I went to the top up some almost vertical stairs at times, Sharon elected to wave to me from the bottom !! We then passed a caravan site, looked lovely but it’s a bit of a hike to come 😂😂, another lighthouse (I’d already done one so no thanks) before reaching the beach we needed. We decided to have a snack and a drink to keep us going. From the beach entrance a tractor takes you through the dunes and out to the point where the two seas meet. It’s strange, they meet in a V shape and the waves come in towards each other and meet. A great sight to see.

    Unfortunately, the three and a half mile walk back followed, but it was still a beautiful day. Being typically Denmark we were in the way of the cyclists and their bells were starting to grate on me a tad by the time we got back to the town. A quick wander round, in and out of a few shops, purchase of the customary Christmas bauble and then back on the ship for a very late lunch.

    We decided to do the sail away a bit differently tonight, and we did it from our balcony. Sharon settled with a cup of tea, a pina colada and a Danish bar of chocolate. I settled for tea and an M&S biscuit ! It was brilliant, we had some binoculars and we’re able to see where we had been as we sailed out to Oslo. There were some kids on the balcony below us and they were jelly fish spotting with their granny so we joined in. A good hour or so and we were out and on our way towards our last stop of the holiday, Oslo.

    A quick hour or so in the hot tub on the open deck and watching Skagen becoming more distant, before a quick change and out for tea. We’ve got a bit of a wobble on tonight as the wind has picked up so there quite a bit of movement in the ship, but we like that. Had a couple of beers, one in the Atrium and one in the princess live lounge. Did the Abba quiz, 17/20, gutted !! One I’ve never heard of and 2 schoolboy errors but we’d have lost anyway as the one I’ve never heard before was got by 2 teams !!

    So, lateish night (we’ll for us anyway), thanks for following, until tomorrow - goodnight.
    Read more