Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Birdsville

    September 4, 2016 in Australia ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    We arrived here after pushing through and deciding to miss the yabbie races at Windorah. We were warned of the potential rains coming and that Birdsville may become cut off. Lucky we did... for four days now Birdsville has been inaccessible by road. This is interesting in itself as you drive 5km in any direction from town and the road is closed.... it is a little.... well... chlosterphobic i guess and now there ia a little cabin fever setting in.
    A chat to the locL tourist information centre reaveals 2 things to do whilst stranded.... go to the pub or go to the races.
    Birdsville is interesting in that it only evists because it is at the intersection of a couple of outback roada.
    When the rains did come, our campsite resembled conditions I think our WW1 soldiers woul have experienced in the battle for the Somme.
    Race day was a fantastic experience. We elected the hospitality package in the marquet and were treated to fine wine, food, cold beer and entertainment. The backdrop of desert race track, warm weather, clear blue skies and interesting characters was fantastic.
    An interesting story from the phantom race meet that was held the day before was of a young las who took fund raising for the RFDS to a new level. After raising her target of $8000 she went through with her promise of a nude streak up and down the home straight much to the delight of the onlookers. Sadly we were not there, so no photos.
    Another story was of the couple we met from cronulla. The wife who after a day on the champagne at the races, got up and volunteered to fight the female (the beaver) in Broughy's boxing tent... complete in her white satin dress. Her husband had to quickly run back to camp and get her joggers so she didn't have to fight in heals. From all reports she put on a good show.
    Birdsville, you have been a great and interesting place..... but we now need to leave
    Read more