Satellite
Afficher sur la carte
  • Jour 4

    Day 4 - Driving to Te Anau

    6 décembre 2023, Nouvelle-Zélande ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    Laura drove us to the PaknSave fuel station near the airport because we had a 10c/L off voucher from the groceries the day before. But you had to pay at the pump which I've never done before and certainly not with a travel card! It took two goes but we got it, because the card is "credit" not "savings" as I first selected. Then Laura filled up the tank but forgot to close the petrol lid! So as we approached the roundabout, someone honked at us to let us know! It was pretty funny cause at first we thought he was just being rude. Turns out he was being very helpful! Laura then drove us to Mossburn, all long the lake from Queenstown, with new mountains appearing and old mountains disappearing behind us. We saw lots of sheep and deer and cows, and the best was watching them climb up on the rocky mountainside. They knew where the good grass was and they weren't going to miss out! Then we put on some of the best of 90s playlist because we ran out of Maroon 5 songs that we knew and it became like car karaoke which was awesome. In Mossburn Laura got a bit tired so I jumped in the driver's seat, and then it started bucketing!! It was so wet, but we have a back window wiper which helped a lot with keeping tabs on the Tarago behind me. Eventually we got to Te Anau town and Laura directed us from there because otherwise google takes you on 10km of unsealed road and we did not want that. We got to the Barnyard backpackers and it is the CUTEST little place. We have a cabin with a mega view and our own bathroom, and the kitchen and communal space is awesome. We hung out on a table with power and wifi for an hour, sorting through photos and I did my support development work before we cooked burritos for dinner which was tasty - good to get some veggies in! Then we did our evenings research and chatgpt was very helpful this time around.
    We looked up
    Who's Ferg?
    How do you make artificial snow?
    When was the Remarkables road built?
    What is the cotton thing that falls from the sky?
    Population of Arrowtown?
    What are the origins of "Shotover"?
    What does MG stand for (car company)
    Do we have a bee crisis in Australia?
    What are the NZ road rules and markings?
    I wanted to look up the NZ notes and coins but it was after 9pm and my phone turned on black and white mode! So I'll have to try again tomorrow. We also swapped out spotify wrapped stories but Laura shares her account with her brother and sister so it is very warped to what her sister listens to.
    After washing up we came back to the cabin to shower and get to bed, it's such a nice shower that you can actually get at a nice temperature!
    En savoir plus