Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 13

    Vietnam - Halong Bay day 2

    May 25, 2018 in Vietnam ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    After a wonderful nights sleep we woke early and went up to the deck to do Tai Chi, but I could only do the arm movements as my knee is still a bit unstable. Pete was happy drinking coffee and watching. Great breakfast and then we went to visit a fishing village. Shame that it is really just a display village now with the government moving all the villagers out and moving them into the city and then just leaving the village set up for the tourists! Still it was fun going around in the bamboo boats and seeing how the villagers used to live.

    We then went back to the boat for a brief rest and the boat was moving further into the bay. We then went to a small island and everyone but me walked up a mountain and into some caves. I sat on the beach reading and waiting for everyone to arrive so we can have a BBQ lunch on the beach. We couldn’t swim because apparently there are big fish in the seaweed that attack swimmers so they wouldn’t let us swim!

    Back to the boat and another swim in the pool, some people (pete included) went on another kayaking trip, and i had a wonderful hot rock massage! Very good and super relaxing. When they got back from kayaking we had a swim behind the boat, though I felt a bit wary that those big fishes might have followed us, so quite happy to get back to the pool!

    We had sunset cocktails on the sundeck and then another incredible dinner. Another 9 course meal, there is so much food on this boat! The staff then made presentations to the honeymooners and a 50 year old birthday boy. Pete wouldn’t let me tell them this was his 60th birthday treat, spoil sport we could have got a cake ! Like we need anymore food.

    We have made friends with Grace and Stefan from Philadelphia who have just got married, they are good fun and are coming back to Hanoi with us to hang out while they wait for their flight. Should be fun.

    It’s hard to stay up late, I know we are old! But I think the heat takes it out of you too, and the wine probably helps too!
    Read more