Satellite
  • Day 17

    Beautiful Venice

    August 22, 2019 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    It’s raining in Venice! After a slow start to the morning we headed off to use our hop on hop off water bus pass. It was much cooler today which was great for walking around. Our first stop is St Marks! So many people. We ended up getting tickets to explore the Doges Palace and only had a short wait to get in. Absolutely fantastic and the history was amazing. We spent about two hours wandering through the palace and then the Bridge of Sighs which led to the prison area.

    When we finished we were going to wander around but there were way too many people so we jumped back on the bus and went to Murano. It is a beautiful place and much quieter and less tourists. Interesting that some shops had signs saying not Chinese glass, which it wasn’t and it would have been a shame to destroy the local industry with Chinese imports.

    Had a yummy pizza on a canal and then looked at the many shops with amazing glass sculptures and jewellery. I was lucky and got a pair of Murano glass earrings. The ride back passed some beautiful buildings and sights!

    We got back to the start and then found a little bar for the expected refreshments and then we found a wonderful little restaurant where Pete says he had the best Seafood pasta ever! We shared some yum mussels and made short work of the bowl!

    Walked home after Pete had the best Tiramisu ever! We are off to Rome tomorrow.
    Read more