Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 44

    All those Beaches!

    December 27, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Another beautiful sunny day here on the coast! We had decided to drive out to Cooks Beach, which is actually only 4km from Whitianga if you take the foot ferry and walk in, but a lot further by car! We wanted to go to a few other places, so took the car and drove first to the ferry landing on the other side of a Whitianga - a short 5 minute cruise! Watched the ferry come and go, as well as a few tour boats picking up passengers - the tide was really running today and some of the boats were having a little trouble staying on course!

    We drove back to Cooks Beach and had a walk around, drove through the town centre, then headed to our next destination - Hot Water Beach. We had only seen this place in the rain, so it was nice to see the sun shining on the beach and the lovely water. Unfortunately because the tide was high, there was no opportunity to dig a hole and build our very own hot water spa! No big deal, we set ourselves up for some suntanning and had a picnic lunch on the sand!

    After a couple of hours, we decided to go back to Hahei beach so we could see it in the sunshine - absolutely stunning! We walked a ways on the beach, then decided to have a refreshment at the Pour House, where we sat in the beautiful garden and enjoyed the sunshine and a couple of beverages! Got back to our place around 4 and I headed for the pool while Dave had a snooze.

    We went back to Frankie’s Sports Bar for dinner - great food and super nice staff, then went for a walk around the waterfront and town before heading in for the night. Another lovely day in New Zealand!
    Read more