Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45

    Fitianga Finale!

    December 28, 2018 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    So I missed all the excitement in the middle of the night last night, where there was a medical emergency in our building complex, with ERTs, and a helicopter landing on the rugby pitch behind us - Dave said it sounded like an earthquake when the chopper was coming in! I slept through it all! 😳

    Our last day in Whitianga (with an F) today! We decided to have a quiet relaxing day, so after coffee and brekky, went for a walk around town on this gorgeous sunny morning. There was a big event going on down at the ferry landing, which we found out was a kids fishing derby, sponsored by lots of local businesses for kids under 12 years of age. We hung around for a while, and it was so sweet to see the kids run in with their small perch, or other tiny catchings, to have them weighed and recorded for the contest! Walked along the beach for a few more photos, the into the downtown shopping area, where we saw this funny sign (one of many) and even though we’re not in Aus anymore, didgeridoos for sale 😳😂!

    Got back to our place around 11, and down to the pool for a few hours to catch what will be the last rays of sunshine for a while. After catching up on some reading and tanning, we showered up and got ready to go visit Brian (from the Christmas Day post) and his wife Belinda, at their lovely beachfront home, which is only about a 5 minute walk from where we are staying. They run an Airbnb from their home, so we also met their tenants and shared some wine and cheese with all of them and had a really nice visit.

    Went for our last dinner in New Zealand at Saby’s kitchen, had a lovely meal, then headed back to pack and get a good nights sleep - tomorrow will be a looooong day, heading back to Auckland for our 14 hour flight back home! Last post tomorrow - stay tuned! 😊
    Read more