Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 19

    Little house (RV) on the Prairie

    October 26, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 4 °C

    I take it back, Americans do get irony.
    The Nebraska sign also reads Home Of Arbor Day, this must either be humour, wishful thinking or total delusion.
    We drove a few days through Nebraska and barely saw a twig sticking above the grasses although to be fair this may have been our fault as most of our concentration was on keeping the RV from being blown sideways off the road.

    For those who prefer a short blog, you are in luck, there are only so many ways you can describe a windswept prairie but we will have a bit of a go anyway.
    There was a long road stretching into the distance, it disappeared over many horizons, looking to the left we saw a lot of grass, looking to the right we saw a lot of grass too.

    But then we came to something very interesting.
    Rhonda brought her own sugar over because last time we were in the US she said the stuff here tasted funny, unpalatable as well, I wouldn’t know I don’t touch the stuff so I just thought she was being weird as usual.
    But it seems she had her reasons because driving into a town, Scotts Bluff, we saw mountains of what looked like round rocks, huge piles of them stacked up everywhere.
    These were all around a complex very similar to our sugar mills and the reason for that is that it was a sugar beet mill.
    The smell in the air was similar to what you get out of our cane mills though not as sweet or aromatic. It was like a bad batch was cooking or some farmers poor dogs had got mixed up in the machinery as he was cutting the cane.
    Read more