Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 21

    More Adobes

    October 28, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 6 °C

    If you can create a silk purse out of a pig’s ear then churches out of mud are the architectural equivalent.
    Long before any Nimbin hippie had a crack at an adobe abode ancient people were slapping this stuff around to create their own little mud cottage with a picket fence.

    Imagine Bunnings a few thousand years ago, you’d walk in and say “excuse me, can you help me, what isle is the mud in?”...” oh, that will be isles one to twenty six sir”.
    And you wouldn’t be walking around going tut tut... I remember when we manufactured all our own mud now we have all these cheap imports from China.

    Cheap imports never last and this church proves it. It was built using local people with local materials a few years before Captain Cook got a farewell from some other locals at Botany Bay, thinking that is probably the last we’ll see of them.

    There is a small graveyard enclosed in the church grounds and the dates on some of these headstones go way back to its earliest times. The descendants of the original builders still maintain the building and graveyard and like the crudeness of the materials used their epitaphs are not all that refined.
    My favourite reads...IN MEMORIA DE AGAPITA LOPEZ DEAD MARCH 5 1935

    There are a few possibilities with this headstone. One is they were dearly loved but this was erected by an unschooled person. Or two, someone needed an accurate marker to piss on.
    Read more