Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 31

    San Francisco revisited

    November 7, 2018 in the United States ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    Our RV got absorbed back into the mass of hundreds of anonymous vehicles at the Cruise America lot at Newark, San Francisco.

    Bit of a shame we didn’t get to say goodbye because we slept, cooked, showered and went everywhere in luxury with this vehicle and it performed so well, gave us a great time but by the time we did the return paperwork and went outside it was gone.

    From Newark we had to get to the airport, about $US120 cab ride, that’s getting close to $A200, we’ll still use the cheaper Uber but after our previous experience we are not keen on over supporting them.

    Now there is nothing better than a bit of bartering so Taxies were bringing people in but there were few fares out of there, a good opportunity to do a deal as the airport is a choice destination.

    I picked the hungriest looking driver, the one that had been there the longest to get a price on the ride.
    A special price for us was $US100 normally $120 ...no no no good and I offer him $40, he says no way $85, I say no I’ll pay $50. This goes on for awhile and in the end I walk away and decide to call Uber.

    He then comes over and says final price $65, I say no final price $50 and he says OK thought when we are loading the bags in he says and $5 for the bridge so I let him have the last word and said OK.

    This was still very good though because while we were there two couples joined up to share a cab and thought that was a good idea because they only paid $60 each.

    We are now at San Francisco International Airport with a 8 hour wait for our 20 hour flight back to Brisbane because of the layover in Sydney. Nothing time for the distances traveled and places we’ve been.
    Read more