Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Church frenzy

    July 26, 2019 in Finland ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Prior to travelling, youtube tourist vids had a bit a hammering & one of the things mentioned was a secular chapel near the station. Tourist Info was at the station so 2 birds killed with 1 stone - happy days. It was as typically Scandinavian as you could get. If Ikea made chapels... Inside it was amazingly peaceful - the noise of Liz moving the leaflet was quite stark. Took a couple of photos & got told off - with a sign. The warden came upto me & waved it at me - no words said other than a sheepish sorry. Took in some bizarre art - a holy car [as in a car with holes], a chrome war memorial & a statue that spoke to you??
    Apparently foodwise the Finnish have a couple of weaknesses - berries, licorice & ice cream. Done the berries, aint doing licorice & had some epic gelato (as it was called) along the esplanadi. Very rich & very bad for me. Nice. Tourist info provided an abundance of maps & leaflets & ideas. Headed back via the 2 cathedrals. Both very different - can't think what that reminds me of. Checked in to discover that the radiator was stuck on - not great with it being high 20's. Eventually got some fans, chocolate as an apology & an assurance that maintenance would be onto it tomorrow. Local supermarket for a pasta tea.
    Read more