Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    The main event.

    August 21, 2022 in Belgium ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    The priority for today was getting a good look around the Atomium. According to Google the best times were kick off at 10 & around last orders at 5. Wasn't going to leave it till that late so a relatively early start was needed. Stopped at the local for breakie supplies & on to the metro. Opted for a ticket rather than mobile - didn't seem a good bet as my machine was taking an age & the guy next to me was hopping between the other 2 with what seemed little success. Mine eventually spat out a ticket. All good ... No. Wasn't sure where to put / swipe the ticket & by the time hoppy guy came over to show me it was 'computer says no' Looked around for help - no-one. Hoppy took the lead & whether he was having difficulties as well or just couldn't get a ticket proceeded to hold the gate open as we scuttled in after someone with a valid ticket. Law breakers - the way I saw it was I had a ticket. The bank app showed I'd paid at the time on the ticket. The issue was more getting back. Didn't fancy hopping the gates again. Anyway breakie on the train & to the Atomium. Stupidly early so wandered getting people free photos.
    Back and joined the queue but eventually realised having booked online the queue was not for me. Scooted through to the great views and the wild neon 2001 sci-fi influenced world of the Atomium. The design briefs, the corridors, the whole look would all have fitted in. All very interesting & enjoyable.
    Read more