Satellitt
Vis på kartet
  • Dag 7

    Dive bombed by cranes

    23. august 2022, Belgia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Today would be the last opportunity to take intrigue breaks as tomorrow would be something of a ferry dash. The first and main break was scheduled to be at Ooidonk Castle, purportedly one of the best preserved medieval moated castles according to Lonely Planet and who am I to argue. Might have been an idea to get Google's opinion - hideous Belgium cobbles negotiated - rocked up to find closed & locked gates. Opening time for appointment only visits was 2 - ahhh.
    More promisingly the surrounding parkland opened at 9.30 - only a 15 min wait. Tried with some success to get some illicit photos - private roads / land warnings aplenty. Got back to find, to no surprise at all, the gates still locked. The bright side was that this meant quieter roads - the detour took me away from the main road. Quieter roads however meant more cobbles. Also meant more obtuse roadwork closures and on the hoof navigation. All good fun - won't be saying that on the ferry run. Last stretch took in another of the areas big canals with the really big barges and bridge swings - Warrington would be impressed. Also managed to get harassed by jumpy cranes clearly not happy with me. The other wildlife possibility - bats unsurprisingly kept a low profile. Another early arrival, this time was rewarded with an early check in. Decided to hang fire on showering - instead take the recommended cycle along the canal, out to Damme, a quiet scenic little village. The alternative would be to take a paddle steamer - don't think so. Nice enough place - lots of tourist fodder. Back to base via Bruges & a little underwhelmed. Need to do a little research. Sure enough some good options - the ubiquitous bell tower climb, the best chocolate in Northern Belgium, plenty of canal side walking and the promise of waffles. Initial thoughts of the climb before being weighed down with copious quantities of chocolate were quashed - earliest available time of 5.20. Cue wandering, chocolate buying and waffle tasting - so much nicer than the American travesties. The climb itself was a bit hairier than usual - narrower 2 way spiral staircases but the views as usual were worth it. Breakie stuff sorted for an early start - the hostel staff were apologetic about not being able to do an earlier breakie and gave me 2 bananas as recompense. I'll take that. Bring on the dash .
    Les mer