Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 45–47

    Bye India. Hello Nepal

    March 19 in Nepal ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Today we're heading to Nepal, via Dheli airport. Indian had one last present for me, when I woke up: I proceeded to get rid of last night's meal through both ends.
    Right before checking out I popped an imodium and was ok apart from some mild nausea for the rest of the day. We got a fancy new 2 hour train from Agra to Dheli which didn't disappoint, with monkeys on the station platform, the guy sitting next to me trying to speak fluent Hindi to me and confusing signage after arriving at Dheli station while trying to find the metro and more.

    Once we'de navigated leaving the station to then walk a mile in a construction site to get to the metro station, we then bought your ticket and went through security to get on to metro (their crazy on security here it's too much) after getting off at the wrong station we finally made it to our correct connection and then walked in the longest walkway I will ever experience. We walked above the city for actually 10 + mins hearing the traffic and goings on bellow. It was sad that we weren't seeing the city on our walk but it was also really nice to be somewhere simple and not get hassled.

    At the airport we had to get into another queue for security before even getting to the check in desks, but once inside the airport was modern and comfortable with lots of western shops.

    India has been amazing I'm sorry to leave but the constant hassle when you step outside, the constant horns and other little inconveniences were begining to grate on us.

    When we arrived into Katmandu and got picked up by our taxi, the first thing we noticed was how quiet it was and a lot colder. No shade, but the streets were cleaner too and there were a lot less cars about (TBF it was 21.00). Our room was comfy and clean and we settled down for a good night's sleep. After being verticle for 5 minutes, I rushed to the bathroom to be sick and then ended up staying in there as everything tried to escape me. I thought I might end up having to sleep there but finally everything was empty and I crawled back to bed hoping I would not need to go back in there.

    Our first day in Katmandu was spent speaking to our trek provider who gave us the full low down of what to expect on our trek of the Langtang valley and the route.

    We then hit the town and stocking up on all the extra warm layers and hiking gear we'de need which included, gloves, a day bag, hiking poles for me and warm hats. It was fun seeing all the knock-off brands displayed and seeing how similar or different they were the the originals.
    In the daylight the traffic is still a bit crazy with pedestrians and motorbikes/cars sharing the road but there we some sidewalks and there was very little garbage and the best bit; when you said no you didn't want a taxi/come into your shop etc they stopped asking, it's amazing 😍

    After lots of shopping we heading to Fire & Ice a highly rated pizza restaurant and it didn't disappoint. The pizza tasted as good as anything you'd get in London and the drinks were delicious. Overall Katmandu was just what we I needed.
    Read more