Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    Day 5 of Langtang Trek

    March 25 in Nepal ⋅ ☁️ -4 °C

    We woke up very early, as our sleep was still a bit disturbed, to 2 feet of snow covering everything! It was insane to see the transformation from brown shrubs to a white desert. We watched as the yaks slowly wandered through and as people began to wake up and try to carve a path through.

    The plan that day had been to have a day hike up to our highest point, Tsergo Ri at 5,000m, which would have been a 9-10 hour trek there and back, from where we could see over 20 peaks, the Langtang Valley, and frozen lakes. However, as the path was now likely completely hidden and slippery with snow, it was not an option. When we went up to the common room and spoke to Dil Man, he said the new plan was to rest until after lunch and then head back down to Langtang village and spend the night there instead.

    So we had the morning to go play in the snow and hang out. Very surprisingly, even though the snow was cold, the sun was shining and it was SUPER HOT. I could barely wear a jacket. With the sun so hot, the snow was melting pretty quickly, so it didn't look like we'd be snowed in after all.

    While eating lunch, a helicopter landed in the field in front of us and picked up two people who looked like they'd just come off the path from Tsergo Ri. My guess was either they attempted it and got altitude sickness or they were super rich and couldn't be bothered to walk down the rest of the valley, like the rest of us plebs.

    After lunch, we leisurely made our way back down the path from yesterday to Langtang village, which seemed SO much easier now we were used to the altitude and it was downhill.
    Read more