Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 53

    Day 7 - Langtang trek

    March 27 in Nepal ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Our last day of trekking was only a half day, and we were finishing where we'd been dropped off by the bus, called Syapru Besi. With feet still sore from the day before, we had a late breakfast and then packed our bags for the porters for the final time. We'd forgotten that most of the walk was through the hydrodam construction site, so it was not a very pleasant end to a beautiful hike. However, arriving into our room at the end was a nice reward. We showered, ate lunch, hung out for a few hours, and then Dil Man had decided we should check out the current hydro plant that is just outside the village. With none of us really sure what to expect, we donned our hiking boots again and walked just outside the town to a bridge, where Dil spoke to a guy who opened a gate, and we were let into a courtyard with electrical pylons and cables. We then had to hand in our phones as we weren't allowed to take pictures inside, and we were walked to the opening of an enormous tunnel. We walked in and heard lots of industrial noises. With no explanation from our guide, we walked through multiple tunnels with machinery and water going through them, ending in a loop which brought us back to the tunnel entrance. Not quite sure what we had just seen in the 20 minutes we were there, we asked a few questions, took some pictures of the opening, and then headed back to our rooms.

    That evening, we celebrated the end of our trek by drinking a local wine, which is fermented rice with hot water poured inside and then the liquid sucked through a straw. It tasted like marmite, and I couldn't drink it without wincing. After more drinks and trying to chat with the porters who spoke no English, but who laughed really hard when I asked them through Google Translate if they missed their families (they preferred the quiet of porter work to their family's company haha), we headed to bed. Overall, a fun end to a very good trek.
    Read more