Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 18

    Camino Del Norte - Day 16

    June 26, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Camino Del Norte - Day 16

    Sebrayo to Cabuenes
    Distance 27km
    Total ascent/descent 660m

    All four of us left our little rural Albergue at 6.30am and quickly starting ticking the kilometers off. We arrived in a small town called Villaviciosa. It is the apple capital of Spain and renowned for it's cider (Sideria).
    Just after this town, we hit a pivotal point on the Camino. We have walked over 500km and the Camino divides into the Del Norte and south on the Primitivo. We stayed on the Del Norte.
    The only problem was we hit a 450m hill that went up and up over 0.5km. It was a real struggle getting up the lump.
    We dropped down the other side through eucalyptus forests into a village called Peon. We stopped for a coffee and sandwich. The sandwich was something to behold. It was 3 foot long and was quickly hoovered up by two of us.The only problem was that we had another flipping 400m hill after that.
    Regular peregrinos faces appear throughout the day. We decided to call it a day after 27km at the only place to stay which was a campsite. The place was packed but peregrinos were put up in tiny wooden shacks/chalets. Six of us so you can imagine how cosy we were.
    Four of us went for a pilgrim's meal in the camp restaurant. It looked like food but wasn't that pleasant. We ate it because we needed it but dessert was indescribable...awful! After everyone had a taste, we all left it.

    Tomorrow, we have 33kms to walk. I am not looking forward to it.
    Read more