Satellite
  • Day 21

    Camino Del Norte - Day 20

    June 29, 2017 in Spain ⋅ 🌧 16 °C

    Camino Del Norte - Day 20
    Luarca to La Caridad
    Distance 31km (7 hours)
    Total ascent 340m

    As usual, our little intrepid gang set off at 6.30am from the Albergue. Luarca was a pretty town with a history for whaling and for caching a 30m octopus.
    The morning threatened rain again as dark clouds raced in from the Bay of Biscay. We walked through narrow country lanes and meandered our way through small woods. It was lovely to see swallows/swifts using the buffeting winds to feed off insects in the fields. As usual, black kites hunted above us.
    We stopped late morning for a Pergrinos breakfast. This consists of cafe con leche (coffee with milk), orange juice and a ham bocadillo. All for 3.50 euros. The place was busy with peregrinos.
    Around midday, we passed through Navia. There was a lovely market taking place. I found an old vagrant who looked like a peregrino. I ended up emptying all my change into his cockle shell.
    We crossed a long bridge and into more rural countryside. We only had 10km to go. It was simply a case of head down and keep going. The weather changed all the time from sunshine, a chilly wind or downpours. I lost count of the number of times my waterproofs came out.
    Around 1.30pm, we arrived at our little Albergue in La Caridad. It is a new Albergue with just 18 beds. It only costs 5 euros.

    Tomorrow, I will walk through the city of Ribaedo to a town called Vilela. It will be the last time I will follow the coast before entering Galicia and beginning the walk towards Santiago. To date, I have walked over 600km.

    Thank you all again for your fantastic donations.
    Read more