Satellite
  • Day 23

    Camino Del Norte - Day 22

    July 1, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    Camino Del Norte - Day 22

    Ribadeo to Lourenza
    Distance 27.5km (7.5 hours)
    Total ascent 710m

    My stay at the Ribadeo Albergue was excellent. I decided to go on another short walk, without a rucksack, to the nearby headland. I am so pleased that I did. The views were fantastic. The bad weather had finally broken and the coast was bathe in sunshine.
    Evening meal was shared with my German and Italian peregrinos. We had break, cheese, red wine with gazoela (similar to Sprite).
    An early night as we were up for 5.30am and on the Camino for 6am. The sky was very black and threatening to rain again. Thankfully, it stayed away. The first few hours, we were climbing constantly through small hamlets and eucalyptus forests. The views were stunning. We had our last few of the Bay of Biscay.
    After 5 hours of walking, we finally found an open cafe in Villamartin Grande. We were starving.
    After large coffees and some food, we were ready to carry on. As we climbed another hill, a deer burst out through the undergrowth six feet in front of us. It looked at us and straight across the path to disappear again.
    We arrived at the Albergue in Lourenza at 1.30pm. We had our pick of beds and use of showers etc before the rest of the hoards arrive.
    Lourenza is a small sleepy town. It's highlight is the 10th century Benedictine Monasterio De San Salavador. It's facade is by the same architect who was also responsible for the Cathedral of Santiago's facade.

    Tomorrow means more hills and a slightly shorter way to Gontin.

    Buen Camino
    Read more