Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Camino Del Norte - Day 23

    July 2, 2017 in Spain ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Camino Del Norte - Day 23

    Lourenza to Gontan
    Distance 24km (7 hours)
    Total ascent 740m

    Last night, we settled down to a light supper but got talking to other peregrinos. One was the lovely GG from France. She was 69 and was two months on the Camino starting from Le Puy. She was an incredible lady. This was her fifth Camino after completing Via De La Plata, Caminos Frances and Portuguses. She has walked over 2,000km in two years. She walked at an incredible speed.
    We set off at 6am this morning with head torches. We met another Australiam guy almost immediately on top of a hill coming out of Lourenza. He had no head torch and there were dogs I a nearby field unchained. Once, we got past him, we went on our merry way. The day seemed to be one long climb ALL day to 740m.
    After 8.5km, all the usual peregrinos , i have got to know, seemed to gather in a city called Mondonedo. We found a cafe open next to it's 13th century cathedral and filled it to bursting. The cafe owner was run for his feet. It made a welcome break to the continual uphill climb.
    Andreas was suffering with tendinitis and was limping. GG gave him a short leg massage in the cafe. This is the true spirit of the peregrinos on the Camino. We share food, water, wine and chocolate.you can easily identify the peregrino in cafes/restaurant and invite/be invited to join a table to eat.
    We eventually walked to the end of a long valley and had another long ascent upwards. We finally arrived at an ultra modern Albergue in a small town called Gotan.
    We have carried out daily admin out and are resting before we have a long day tomorrow. We will walk to Baamonde (40km) away.
    Read more