Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 51

    A Bangui story and the plan

    November 16, 2016 in Central African Republic ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    At our meeting last night we were told a very interesting story. This start is likely not a true story, just like our surgeon is not a witch who stole a heart for voodoo. So a teenage girl hitch hiked hike from school the other day. The guy that picked her up had a kitten in the car and said that his kitten is hungry; and asked if she could breastfeed the kitten, and he would give her some money. She agreed, and as a result got an absess on her breast and died. This resulted people teasing all of the girls at the school by saying "meow!" When they walk past. Yesterday the girls protested against this bullying, so the police threw tear gas in the crowd of girls. About 35 came to the hospital for care - although nothing serious was wrong; just fainting and hysteria.

    We just had another meeting about how to restart activities! It will be sometime next week. There was a lot of talk about surgical side, which I'm not a part of and also reorganisation. We are limited with nurses, so I will be changing departments from a medical ward- which was previously managed by the icu nurse; to the medical emergency department. I'm quite excited actually. But I've got a lot of reading to do! I need to mesmerize the criteria for admission, protocols and the handover left by the previous nurse. I'll work with an international doctor who is lovely and had heaps of experience with MSF. They triage the kids outside (under a gazebo) then kids go to either surgical or medical emergency with a green, orange or red card.

    The pictures for my education book are finally finished. I'm going to put it together today with the head nurse and do more of a handover of my ward and the new one.
    Read more