Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 11

    Llanes

    June 2, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 70 °F

    Today offered a tranquil day of exploration in the charming city of Llanes. The historic town is adorned with remnants of its old walls, some tracing their origins back to the early 12th century. The city exudes a cozy atmosphere with a present-day population of approximately 3,800 residents.

    Our apartment served as the perfect starting point, conveniently situated within walking distance of everything. Following a scenic grassy path along the coastline, we were led to a petite urban beach and a bustling harbor—ample time allowed us to amble leisurely, capturing numerous photographs to encapsulate the moments.

    After savoring a delightful lunch at a serene eatery, we returned to the coastline. This time, we embarked on a journey in the opposite direction, tracing the same elevated grassy trail overlooking the sea for several miles. The water below transitioned from deep blue to turquoise, displaying its crystal-clear and pristine nature. The underwater landscape was distinct - rocks and sand were clearly visible deep down.

    As the sky began to shroud itself in incoming clouds and distant rumbles of thunder echoed over the coastal mountains, we recognized the signal to conclude our seaside sojourn. A retreat to our apartment beckoned, promising refreshing showers and relaxation. While Ursula and Renata diligently attended to the task of folding clothes laundered the previous day, Kurt and I consulted the map, charting the course for our onward journey to the west.

    With dinner reservations secured at Restaurante Casa Canere for 7:30, we anticipated a delightful dining experience. Yet, our expectations were met with disappointment as the waiter displayed disinterest and lackluster enthusiasm in attending to us. Seizing the moment, I proposed that we seek an alternative. Our spontaneous stroll brought us to the sun terrace of Hotel Soblón, where an exceptional table awaited. Though slightly pricier, the panorama, ambiance, and delectable grilled Sea Bass proved more than satisfying. Renata's contentment was palpable; she humorously credited me with salvaging the evening.

    Anticipation now turns to tomorrow's destination: the picturesque coastal enclave of Lastres, a mere 2-1/2 hours' journey from our present location.
    Read more