Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 14

    Lastres - Cudillero - Luarca

    June 5, 2023 in Spain ⋅ ☁️ 70 °F

    At around 9:30 AM, we said our goodbyes to the delightful town of Lastres. Our journey continued along the scenic Highway A-8, guiding us past Oviedo as we headed north and west along the picturesque Asturias coast. After approximately 90 minutes of driving, we descended to sea level, arriving at the charming fishing village of Cudillero. Here, we had the chance to explore and purchase local fruits, as this region is renowned for its Kiwi, Apples, Plums, and Blueberries.

    Much like our previous experience in Lastres, Cudillero enchanted us with its unique allure. Tucked into the steep hillsides encircle the harbor, the village's ancient stone buildings were adorned with many vibrant colors. Our timing was perfect – visiting during the pre-season allowed us to savor the village's beauty without the hustle and bustle of crowds. The impeccable cleanliness of the surroundings, including the streets, shops, and even public restrooms, left a strong impression on us.

    Following Routes CU-3, A-8, and N-634, we eventually reached our ultimate destination for the day: the fishing town of Luarca. The well-maintained roads and highways made our journey quite smooth. Although finding parking posed a bit of a challenge, we eventually located a municipal garage about a quarter mile upriver. Exploring the town on foot, we meandered through narrow streets and charming alleys until we reached the lively port area. There, we stumbled upon a delightful restaurant where we enjoyed a light, late lunch.

    Our accommodation for the night was at the Casa Manoli Estate, nestled 1.6 miles inland amidst the tranquil countryside adorned with orchards and lush pastures. This estate, once a strawberry farm in the 1990s, now offered us a simple yet spacious room for €45. After checking in and taking a break, we discussed our plans for the following day, which would take us to Viveiro.

    While Kurt decided to stay at the hotel due to a lack of appetite, Renata, Ursula, and I ventured back into town for an evening meal. The dinner experience was delightful – I opted for a regional specialty, Fabada Asturiana, while Ursula savored grilled sardines, and Renata indulged in grilled baby squid. A few glasses of the House Wine further elevated our culinary adventure. A rather bold seagull attempted to snatch food from a neighboring table, adding a touch of amusement to our evening.

    As the day ended, we returned to our hotel just in time for me to capture a breathtaking sunset photograph, marking the end of another splendid day in the enchanting northern region of Spain.
    Read more