Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 94

    Tham Phu Kham Cave

    January 19, 2023 in Laos ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    Vang Vieng, located in the northern part of Laos, is a beautiful mountainous region that is best known for its natural beauty and adventure activities. Craig and I participated in one of the most popular activities in Vang Vieng by renting motorbikes and exploring the area. One of the best sights to visit on a motorbike ride is Tham Phu Kham Cave, which is located about 4 km from the city centre.

    Tham Phu Kham Cave is a spectacular limestone cave located on the bottom of a mountain. There is resort with cool mountain water and outdoor restaurants. We rented head lamps and started our ascent with a steep climb that wasn’t too long. The entrance to the cave is rather narrow, but soon opens up into a wide chamber with several small rooms. Inside the cave, where we found unique and amazing formations of stalactites and stalagmites. The cave is also home to several species of bats (we did not see any), while its ceiling is covered with unique fossil deposits.

    The cave floor was slippery and steep in some spots. Also, there were sections of the cave with very high ceilings, quite an amazing experience!

    The drive through the countryside of Laos is awe-inspiring. The jagged mountains, rice paddies, tropical trees, and blue skies make for quite a composition! We headed back into town before dark for a nice dinner!
    Read more