Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 97

    Phonsavan

    January 22, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ 🌙 20 °C

    Craig and I enjoyed our visit to Phonsavan and the Plain of Jars. Located in northern Laos, this is an area filled with ancient mystery and beauty that captured our hearts and imagination.

    The Plain of Jars has been around for over two thousand years, with its mysterious stone jars scattered across the landscape. It is thought that these large vessels were used for rituals or burial purposes, but the exact purpose or date of their creation remains a mystery. Today, the jars are both a fascinating reminder of the region’s past and a great source of curiosity as visitors try to figure out their purpose. Our tour guide definitely had his opinions regarding the origin of the Jars!

    Aside from the historical artifacts, there was much to explore and enjoy in Phonsavan. We enjoyed our walks through the town as it was full of markets and restaurants.

    We visited the MAG UXO Visitor Centre. This was a sobering museum dedicated to showing the devastating effects of unexploded ordinance left behind from the Vietnam War. However, it was uplifting to learn about the organization’s progress and their local employees’ efforts as they work to identify and dismantle remaining bombs. It served as a powerful reminder of the importance of working towards peace and stability in the region.

    In short, Phonsavan and the Plain of Jars was an unforgettable experience for us, as we enjoyed exploring the history and culture of this region of Lao.
    Read more