Satelit
Tunjukkan pada peta
  • Hari 105

    Muang Ngoi

    30 Januari 2023, Laos ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    From Nong Kiaw, we took a boat to Muang Ngoi for an overnight stay. Muang Ngoi is a town along the Nam Ou in Louangphrabang Province. It is part of Ngoi district 170 kilometres North-East of Luang Prabang.

    The current population is about 700, and of Lao Loum ethnicity. The town was heavily bombed during the Laotian Civil War.

    The boat ride in the morning treated us with spectacular views of the river, rain forests, and jagged lime cliffs. The river banks were dotted with vegetable gardens, some livestock, and sometimes steps to homes.

    Once we arrived at the banks of Muang Ngoi, we took the steps up, and were greeted with locals offering places to stay. An elderly local offered us a room right on the river with a hammock on the balcony - sold!

    The town has a few streets. There were restaurants, cafes, tour offices, and textile stores that were open. There was a small but wonderful Wat at the edge of town overlooking the river. In fact, the stairs opposite the entrance, going down to the river with giant Nagas greeting visitors from the river was really cool.

    The riverbank at the temple’s edge is something out of a Ruben’s landscape masterpiece. A canvass where giant mountains, grand skies, endless river, majestic sun, and an army of trees compete for your attention, yet exist in harmony with one another.

    Our short stay in Muang Ngoi was fantastic and memorable.
    Baca lagi