Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 122

    Life of Pai

    February 16, 2023 in Thailand ⋅ ⛅ 25 °C

    For my birthday, I had to choose a northern town since we were in northern Thailand. I chose Pai. It is a charming Thai town situated in the Mae Hong Son Province. It is not a large town by any means and has a population of approximately 5,500 people.

    The majority of the population in Pai is made up of the Northern Thai ethnic group called the Lua. There are also a small number of Karen people living in the hills around Pai, who mainly work in agriculture.

    As the sun sets over Pai, the night market came alive with activity and energy, which we enjoyed very much.

    We saw vendors setting up stalls, showcasing local produce and handmade goods. At the night market we saw unique items like handmade batik clothing, leather goods, intricately carved wooden boxes and even Pai’s famed culinary specialties such as Pai roti and khao soi.

    We rented some motorbikes and set our course to visit the iconic white Buddha perched on the hill near Pai. It was an easy 14 minute ride. The big white Buddha statue is a symbol of faith and a great way to take in the stunning views of Northern Thailand.

    The giant white marble statue of 'Luang Pho To' (Giant White Buddha) was built in 1960 by locals who wanted to honor the founder of their village, Khun Paen Kham-in. The structure stands at an impressive 10 meters tall and is seen as a symbol of faith, hope and respect for those who live in and visit Pai. The views from the temple were awesome. The entrance to the stairs to Buddha are guarded by a pair of giant Singhas.

    Craig and I enjoyed our visit to Pai, and enjoyed the night market, food, temples, and even took a motorbike ride to an amazing cave.
    Read more