Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    The Views of Monserrate

    April 5, 2023 in Colombia ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    After our morning coffee at our Airbnb, we headed to the base of Monserrate to take the tram up to the lookout points overlooking the city.

    We learned the Monserrate is a mountain that dominates the city center of Bogotá, the capital city of Colombia. It rises to 3,152 meters above sea level and is a popular tourist attraction - we were in quite a line for a weekday afternoon.

    Our visit to Monserrate was an unforgettable experience. We took the tram up the mountain and were rewarded with breathtaking views of the city below. The tram ride itself was an adventure, as we ascended at a steep angle and watched the cityscape unfold before us. The sign on the tram said capacity was not to exceed 80- There were violations - Lol!!!

    At the top of Monserrate, we explored the beautiful church and gardens. The church, dedicated to El Señor Caído (The Fallen Lord), is a pilgrimage site for many Colombians.

    The weather was sometimes sunny or overcast. It was nice that the rain held out till late afternoon.

    One of the highlights of our visit was dining at one of the restaurants on Monserrate. We enjoyed delicious Colombian cuisine while taking in the stunning views of Bogotá. We found a family operated eatery with a great menu. The service was very friendly and the food was tasty. Brad and I had the beef steak with fries, Kristy had the arepa (a ground corn treat), and Craig had a traditional Colombian chicken soup.

    Before we heading down, Kristy led us to a path that led to a gate - she’s an excellent tour guide…😅!

    As we descended back down the mountain on the tram, we enjoyed the commanding views of Bogota’s cityscape. It was a highlight of our trip to Bogota, Colombia!
    Read more