Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 20

    Bike Ride

    April 21, 2023 in Argentina ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Today we had an amazing bike ride through the Parque General San Martin, one of the largest and most beautiful parks in Mendoza. We rented bikes from a nearby shop and entered the park through the impressive Portones del Parque San Martin, a monumental gate that welcomes visitors to this green oasis[.

    We rode along the Calle Los Platanos, a shady avenue lined with plane trees that change colors with the seasons. We saw people jogging, walking their dogs, having picnics and enjoying the fresh air. The park is very well maintained and has many attractions, such as a zoo, a science museum, a lake, a rose garden and several fountains.

    One of the highlights of our ride was climbing up the Cerro de la Gloria, a hill that offers stunning views of the city and the mountains. On top of the hill, there is a majestic monument dedicated to General San Martin, the hero of Argentine independence who led his army across the Andes to liberate Chile and Peru[. The monument depicts scenes from his epic campaign and has bronze statues of soldiers and horses. It was very impressive and inspiring to see, even with the fast moving traffic.

    We learned some interesting facts from the internet about the park :The park was designed by Carlos Thays, a famous French landscape architect who also created many parks in Buenos Aires[. The park covers 865 acres and was inaugurated in 1896. He explained that the park is named after General San Martin because he was born in Mendoza and his house is now a museum that can be visited inside the park.

    After admiring the views from the hill, we descended back to the main road and continued our ride around the park. We stopped by the Fuente de los Continentes, a beautiful fountain that represents the five continents with allegorical figures. We also visited the lake, where we saw ducks, swans and rowboats.

    We had a wonderful time exploring the Parque General San Martin by bike. It was a great way to experience nature, culture and history in one place.

    I will be adding a video very soon!
    Read more