Satellite
  • Day 18

    postcards

    September 6, 2016 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Postcards on Staten island is one of the most poignant places I've ever been, from a distance it looks like a nice looking statute, it is not surrounded by information points or security or anything really to tell you what it is. No signs to tell you to treat the place with respect or remove your hat (although something inside made me feel I should).

    When you step between the two large wings you find 274 marble plaques, with 274 names, 274 dates of birth and 274 job titles. Each plaque has a silhouette looking straight out across the water towards the city, the centre line of postcards points straight to ground zero where in one single act of hatred 274 people's lives were extinguished.

    I took the time to read every name on the two large "postcards to loved ones", and I shed some tears but that's nothing compared to what people must feel every day who lost someone that horrendous day. I cannot and hopefully will not ever be able to comprehend that pain.

    On my last full day in New York, I have to say, I'm not the city's biggest fan...but in a similar way to London on 7/7 these amazing people have pulled back together, memorialized, never forgotten and stood together you say, you will not change us. And that is something that demands respect.
    Read more