Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    National Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen

    April 9, 2023 in Denmark ⋅ ⛅ 6 °C

    The National museum of Denmark has locations around the country; in Copenhagen they have repurposed one of the lesser, former royal palaces to provide exhibition space. Notable displays include early Danish spiritual beliefs and a collection of rune stones.

    Peoples of the world and ethnographic treasures exhibits were fantastic, displaying distinct creations from cultures around the world; Samurai armour from Edo Japan, Polynesian fertility statues and a collection of Indian sari are among the eye-catching displays. Their exhibits on Innuit and Navajo culture in some ways rival those of ‘the Smithsonian Museum of the Native American Indian [SIC]’ in Washington DC; there are many artefacts, including displays of full size canoes, and fascinating titbits about the egalitarian culture of the Navajo similar to those in Washington.

    The centre piece of the museum’s viking exhibit is a frame representing the outline of a full-size viking longship, a few surviving original timbers are fixed in their proper places (perhaps a Danish solution to the ship of Theseus problem). The exhibit opens with an excellent visualisation of how various powers rose and fell during the Viking period - including the various English kingdoms (Wessex, Mercia etc). It closes with a series of short films which tell the story of a great Viking king and his (unsuccessful) quest to raid Rome. Throughout are hundreds of artefacts, many in gold or silver with surprisingly detailed art work and runic designs.

    Some of the more recent (and quirky) exhibits include one on the influence of Japanese culture on late 20th/early 21st century Denmark with a focus on cosplay and manga. Their toys exhibition includes an entire ‘street’ of dolls houses, each exquisitely furnished and lit, their open backs made viewable by placing viewing aisles parallel to the street scene.

    I regretted that I had only a couple of hours to spend in the museum, but it was time to head to the ship.
    Read more