Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Heating refit part 1

    April 14, 2023 in Norway ⋅ 🌬 6 °C

    With another busy day ahead, the first order of business was to see the latest episode 'Picard'. With the action well and truly dissected and predictions laid for next week it was time for more errands (partly to places we hadn't yet been and partly because we always miss at least one item off our lists). The mountains that frame the town in every direction were almost sparkling in the morning sun as we went about fetching and carrying bulky boxes with new radiators and other supplies.

    The main task in the flat was replacing an electric radiator with a higher efficiency (and more beautiful) unit. We explored the question of 'how many engineers does it take to unplug an appliance' when it turned out the original had been connected with wet paint on its plug, adhering it firmly to the socket. That hurdle overcome, we found that the radiator needed to be in the most awkward spot: directly in front of the main vent. With some modification, in the form of removing the cross brace and adding some quickly made wooden spacers we were able to mount the radiator in front of the vent - but not before it drew at least a little blood of its own.

    This evening it was taco night so as team cook I headed to the kitchen, whilst the other two battled with the tech to get us set up for a movie night. Cooking a spiced dish is a great way to test out how well you apply plasters to the various cuts on your fingers from fitting radiators: based on the burning feeling in those cuts, turns out I suck at it. Having discovered in discussions the previous day that at least one of us hadn't seen various great classics like 'Casablanca', '2001: a Space Odyssey' it was settled that it was my omission that was most egregious and pressing, so our movie was 'Happy Feet', which I had not previously seen.
    Read more