Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 4

    Cabin - Geirangerfjorden Ferrisenter

    April 21, 2012 in Norway ⋅ 🌧 6 °C

    In the middle of summer coach tours, touring caravans, cars and cruise liners bring an army of tourists to experience it... however it isn’t the height of summer, the road that connects Geiranger to settlements south is impassible due to snow & ice and shall remain so until late may. The cruise circuit, for reasons related to navigation and practicality doesn’t start taking in Geiranger until later in the season. This week is the first that Hurtigruen, the ferry that brought us here calls here and is one of only two ways in (the other being the road from the north). As a consequence the town is quiet, most of the numerous hotels and other accommodations are closed; the tourist population of the whole town currently numbers in the tens, rather than the thousands.

    It is likely for this reason that after a little over 2Km hiking with full pack to the ‘ferrisenter’, where we had booked a cabin for the night, there was nobody in reception. Fortunately a quick call to the telephone number we had been emailed with our booking information rectified that situation.

    When I booked the cabin I have been expecting something very basic and cold. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the sturdy little timber building was heated to a cosey temperature and well furnished including a large flatscreen television mounted to the wall (although it didn’t occur to us to turn it on for our entire stay). It also had a small porch with a picnic bench, and the advantage of being right on the shore.

    Whilst searching around for somewhere to stay in Geiranger (somewhere open that is) the only other option that had turned up was the 5 star hotel union; seeing now thier relative positions and how pleasant the cabin is I think its safe to say that turning down the option of sharing a hotel room for £200 a night was the correct call. The cabin, was far more spacious than was likely for a hotel room and equipped with a fridge hob, microwave, drying rack, sofa and dining table (none of which were likely to appear in a hotel room.
    Read more