Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 17

    Cairo Day 1

    May 20, 2023 in Egypt ⋅ ☀️ 29 °C

    There was some sort of celebration last night near our hotel that had loud live music and was going until past 3am, so Steve didn't sleep that well (it didn't seem to bother Tegan). Steve was awake just before 7am so decided to watch the footy in bed while Tegan slept. Once the game finished and we were ready to head out we met Sam, Christina, and Nick at a nearby cafe for Turkish coffee, which was very strong and oily. After coffee we went to a local place for lunch and had some nice falafel wraps, and discovered how cheap everything is here -- the wraps were 20 EGP, approximately $1 AUD.

    Christina had to go and meet her family after lunch so we went off to explore the Cairo Citadel, which was a huge fortress type area with multiple mosques on site. From the terrace of the Citadel you can see the pyramids in the distance which was pretty amazing. We spent quite a bit of time exploring and then decided to grab an uber back to town and find somewhere to have a drink. It took some work, but we found a nice rooftop bar/restaurant and ended up spending the rest of the day there. The roads here are insane, there are no walking lights, you just have to walk with confidence and pray that no one hits you. The roads have constant beeping to let the other drivers know not to hit you or to beep because you're in the way.

    We found a cool bar called the Cartlon Rooftop bar where we spent the rest of the evening drinking and smoking shisha. It is amazing to be catching up with friends in Cairo -- we had the best day/night talking and laughing. Amy and Burnso met us there after the long flight from Melbourne. They were both exhausted by the time it got to 10-11pm (and so were we) so we caught an uber back to the hotel with them. Burnso fell asleep in the back of the uber and we took photos of him snoring with his mouth open, which the driver thought was hilarious and made us show him the photos whilst he was driving.
    Read more