Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Victoria - a beautiful city

    September 14, 2019 in Canada ⋅ 🌧 15 °C

    Victoria, BC, Vancouver. I'm not a big city lover, particularly bustling capital cities. They're crowded, over built, often noisy and overwhelming. However, Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, breaks those beliefs. Just a little bigger than my own home city, I felt right at home.

    The city sits just at the southern end of Vancouver Island and is stunning. From the beautiful gardens and parks, to the vibrant floating homes of the harbour and the delicious food - it is possibly the most picturesque city I've visited.

    Morning

    Go for breakfast at a local cafe. I ate at Shine Cafe, just a 2 minute walk from our hostel, Ocean Island. I absolutely love going to cafes alone. Just sitting with a coffee and watching the world go by, or taking time to video call home. It always makes me feel so peaceful.

    After breakfast, take a stroll across the city by heading down to Victoria's Inner Harbour to start. Stroll past the stunning architecture, the sea planes, sail boats and water taxis. Then continue past the BC Parliament Building and Royal BC Museum.

    Just after you pass Pendray Inn and Teahouse, a beautiful building that you can't miss, follow the signs for Fisherman's Wharf.

    You should arrive at Fisherman's Wharf just before lunch time. Take time to explore this gorgeous floating pier, with it's quaint food stores and colourful floating homes. Now is a great time to have lunch, especially if you like a good portion of fish and fries!

    Afternoon

    After a tasty lunch, follow Dallas Road until you reach Ogden Point Sundial, which had a viewpoint overlooking the ocean and Dallas Road Waterfront Trail, which you can take all the way to Beacon Hill Park. It takes around 45 minutes and is well worth it.

    Evening

    Finish the evening with a nice meal and maybe even a few drinks. Wharehouse is a great place to go, with everything on the menu at a set price, I think $5. It's super tasty as well as cheap, and there are several places close by to go for additional drinks, should you wish.

    Victoria is a picturesque city and is well worth a visit if you are in Vancouver, whether you go for a day by ferry, or you spend a long weekend there.
    Read more