Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Sezanne

    May 6, 2023 in France ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Flat fast and flies. And forgettable. I spent an hour wandering around the gardens of the chateau at Fontainebleau which were lovely ( and free) so decided not to pay the dosh to look at some fusty old furniture- for another day. Overnight rain and early morning mist cleared to reveal a still, sunny day. Some lovely cycling through the forest- firstly on ordered tree lined avenues then fast "single track" put a smile on my face. I dropped down to the Seine which I then followed for the rest of the day. This seemed a much more functional France- industrial and less picture-postcard. The river/ canal side path deteriorated until it was an uncyclable overgrown jungle - with loads of flies. Keep your moth shut whilst your cycling! Architecture has subtly changed- timber framed houses with red brick bits. Lots of oilseed rape, wheat, and wind turbines.. The last 15k was an imperceptible climb out of the Seine valley and suddenly I'm back amongst vines: champagne country.

    Ps very excited to get a mention on Radcliffe and Maconie radio 6 today! About 10 mins in when you were all asleep!
    Read more